This Creamy Sausage Potato Soup is made with Wolfsen’s hot or sweet Italian sausage with potatoes and vegetables. it’s an easy soup recipe for the stove top or the Crock Pot!
Ingredients for the Seasoning for your Sausage Potato Soup
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for your Sausage Potato Soup
- 1 lb. Wolfsen’s Fresh Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ lbs. red potatoes, about 6 small potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh Parsley
Instructions for Making Sausage Potato Soup
Stove Top Method
- Cook the Sausage: Remove the casings from the sausage if you purchased links. Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook and crumble to break it apart. Once cooked halfway through, cover partially and continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. It’ll take around 10-12 minutes total. Set the sausage aside and reserve 1 tablespoon drippings. (Butter can be used if you don’t have drippings.)
- Add the drippings to the pot along with 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions, celery, and carrots and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth in splashes and use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom of the pot to add more flavor the soup. Slowly stir in the heavy cream, hot sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Clean the potatoes and pat them dry. Cut into 1-inch cubes and add them to the soup. Simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Add the sausage back and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese (if desired).
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and parsley. Serve!
Crock Pot Method
Note: The drippings, butter, and flour are not used for the Crock Pot Method. Drain the grease well from the sausage after you cook it. Since the sausage will continue to heat in the Crock Pot for several hours, you may need to skim grease off of the top of the soup at the end of cooking.
- Cook and crumble the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat on the stove top. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic halfway through cooking. Once the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are softened, drain grease well and transfer it to the Crock Pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the Crock Pot except the heavy cream and cheddar cheese.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4.
- Reduce heat to warm and slowly stir in the heavy cream until combined. Turn heat off.
- If desired, sprinkle in the cheese and stir until combined, then serve.